Final Call for Travel Photographer of the Year Awards
Posted on Sep 30, 2021
Image credit: Marsel van Oosten / tpoty.com
Entries for the Travel Photographer of the Year awards close on 12 October – less than two weeks away!
Since its foundation in 2003, the Travel Photographer of the Year awards have attracted some of the world’s best talent in travel photography. Receiving submissions from amateur to professional photographers across over 140 countries, this competition is truly global and offers its winners the chance to gain worldwide recognition that could launch their careers internationally.
There is a broad range of categories that participants can submit their work to, covering many different genres within travel photography, from People & their Stories to Green Planet, which puts a spotlight on the threats facing the natural world and the role that travel has to play in pressing environmental issues.
The Overall Winner – the Travel Photographer of the Year 2021 – will be the entrant with the best eight images across the four portfolio categories. Under-eighteens will stand the chance of winning the Young Travel Photographer of the Year award, which went to twelve-year-old Indigo Larmour in 2020’s competition.
There are some great prizes up for grabs thank to the support of Fujifilm, Chris Weston Photography, LEE Filters, Plastic Sandwich, JRNY travel magazine, Photo Iconic, Genesis Imaging and the Royal Photographic Society, making this an unmissable opportunity for all enthusiastic travel photographers.
Four-image portfolio categories:
- Landscapes & Adventure
- Living World
- People & their Stories
Eight-image portfolio category:
- Best 8 – entrants must submit eight images that showcase the diversity of their travel photography
‘One Shot’ single image categories:
- Icons of Travel – photos of classic subjects that avoid repeating the usual clichés!
- Green Planet – endangered species, sustainable travel and conservation
- As Shot – images are submitted exactly as they were shot (only the most minor editing is permitted)
‘Smart shot’ mobile phone and tablet category:
- iTravelled – images shot on smartphones and tablets
HD video category:
- Travel shorts – short travel films shot in HD with a duration of up to two minutes
Young Travel Photographer of the Year (junior categories):
- Ages 14 and under
- Ages 15-18
- Fees start from £8 (for entry into iTravelled single image category)
- Special entry fee ‘bundle’ – £40: Ten images submitted to any combination of single image categories and portfolios
- Discounted entry fees for members: save money when submitting your work by subscribing to TPOTY’s new membership area and online magazine Eye for the Light
Eye for the Light membership
- Access exclusive podcasts, articles, advice, opinions and interviews with expert photographers, experienced travellers and competition judges
- Choose from three subscription levels, starting at £6 per month
- Gain one free entry into the TPOTY awards and enjoy discounted rates on additional entries
- Get access to free TPOTY merchandise and webinars
- Make the most of discounts on a range of cameras, accessories, workshops, printing and other goodies
To take part in this year’s competition, submit your entries before 12 October at the Travel Photographer of the Year’s website.
Don’t forget to sign up to receive our newsletter below, and get notified about the new issue, exclusive offers and competitions.