SINWP Bird Photographer of the Year 2022
Posted on Dec 7, 2022
Shot on a Canon R5, the adorable winning image raises money for RSPB
The Society of International Nature and Wildlife Photographers announces the winners of the SINWP Bird Photographer of the Year contest. Sarah Keates from Massachusetts (USA) takes gold with her image ‘Piping plover chick finds a shell.’ The perfectly timed shot is composed with the chick front and centre, telling a story of innocence and curiosity. The softness comes through, as the image exudes the purity of youth.
Sarah’s chick beat over 1,600 other images from across the globe to the top spot, including kingfishers, bald eagles, puffins, peacocks, and everything in between. The winning shot was taken in July 2022 at Duxbury Beach, Massachusetts with Canon R5, an EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM lens, and an Extender EF 1.4x III. The settings: f/7.1, 1/2000 sec, iSO-400, focal length 700mm, Spot metering, No flash.
2nd place was awarded to Michelle Jackson from Derbyshire, England and 3rd place was awarded to Jason Gericke from Nottinghamshire, England.
The SINWP Bird Photographer of the Year has only grown over the past five years, adding £2k to the impressive nearly £11,000 raised for the RSPB so far.
Overall Winner Prize
- Bird Photographer of the Year 2022 Trophy and Certificate
- DxO PureRAW 2 Software valued at £115
- Perma Jet A3 Double-Sided Portfolio 230 and an A3 cream SnapShut Folio valued at £106
- Topaz Labs DeNoise AI Software valued $79.99
- One year Free Professional Membership to SINWP- which includes: entry to all of our membership only competitions – unrestricted access to our members’ photography forum – access to our members only Facebook group – listing on our directory – qualifications and distinctions through submission of images – the winner will also receive our magazine Professional Imagemaker for 12 months (valued at £150)
For more information, and to view other top images, visit the SINWP website.
Don’t forget to sign up to receive our newsletter below, and get notified about the new issue, exclusive offers and competitions.